Randolph J. OrtegaSenior Partner
- Email Us
Mr. Ortega has extensive experience in criminal cases both in Federal and State courts in Texas and New Mexico. Mr. Ortega’s clients have enjoyed not guilty verdicts in Federal Court in the area of narcotics trafficking, corporate crime, and insurance fraud. In the State of Texas, Mr. Ortega’s clients have enjoyed not guilty verdicts in cases ranging from driving while intoxicated to aggravated assault. In the State of New Mexico, Mr. Ortega’s clients have enjoyed not guilty verdicts in a variety of felony cases to include sexual assault.
Mr. Ortega has also represented a wide range of clients in Federal Appellate Courts including cases involving drugs, internet crime, money laundering and insurance fraud. He has also successfully defended a fellow attorney before the Board of Disciplinary Appeals in a compulsory disbarment proceeding. Mr. Ortega successfully achieved an en banc favorable ruling from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in a civil law case where he represented a Border Patrol Agent charged with civil liberty violations.
Mr. Ortega is committed to providing all of his clients with vigorous and aggressive legal representation without regard to the degree of crime they are facing.
In 2012, Mr. Ortega was appointed as a special prosecutor in the prosecution of 3 organized crime members indicted for hate crimes. This resulted in prison sentences for the crimes they were convicted of.
Mr. Ortega was designated a “Super Lawyer” in 2014 and again in 2015. Mr. Ortega also received the CJA Panel Attorney of the Year for 2014 and 2015, and is a Barrister Member of The George A. McAlmon Inn of Court 2015 among his many presentations, lectures, publications and designations.
Areas of Practice
- Legal Representation
- Criminal Law – State and Federal
- Insurance Fraud
- Corporate Crime
- Personal Injury
Certified Legal Specialties
- Qualified Mediator
- Texas, 1995
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Texas
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, Texas – J.D. – 1995
- University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, Texas – B.A. – 1991, Major: Political Science
- Canutillo High School – 1985
- Manual on Prosecution of Barratry, for use in the State of Texas, 1994
- Designate of United States District Court Judge, David Briones, to the Western District of the Texas Criminal Justice Act Advisory committee, Panelist, 2008 – Present.
- El Paso Federal Bar Association, Bench and Bar Relations Co-Chair, 2014 to Present.
Lectures and Presentations
- Speaker at the El Paso Federal Bar Association CLE seminar, Practical and Ethical ConsiderationsInherent in Complex Cases (3/25/14).
- Speaker at the El Paso Federal Bar Association CLE seminar, Defending Gideon (8/20/14).
- Speaker at the El Paso Association of Legal Professionals seminar (01/14/2015).
Designations, Selections and Awards
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in the area of Criminal Law 2014 & 2015.
- Outstanding Criminal Justice Act Panel Attorney 2014/2015.
- Barrister Member of The George A. McAlmon Inn of Court 2015.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- El Paso Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Prior Vice President
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Texas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Federal Bar Association – Board of Directors