A Dedicated Child Custody Lawyer in El Paso, TX Protects Your Parental Rights

Representing clients throughout El Paso County

If you are currently dealing with a child support issue, Ortega, McGlashan, Hicks & Perez, PLLC can help you and your partner come to a custody agreement that is beneficial for your child’s well-being. Our skilled child custody lawyer has years of experience as an attorney in the state of Texas and knows exactly how the system works. An effective custody agreement that benefits all parties is important to help your family move in a positive direction, and our firm works to make that a reality for you.

The types of child custody

Not every child custody agreement grants a parent the same rights. In the state of Texas, there are different ways custody can be awarded, such as:

  • Sole physical custody  This is when a child lives permanently with one parent at all times. The court may order time designated for the other parent to visit, but the child’s permanent residence will remain with one parent.
  • Sole legal custody  Sole legal custody means that one parent is responsible for all of the major decisions to be made in a child’s life, including education, religion, health and living arrangements.
  • Joint physical custody When a joint physical custody agreement is reached, a child splits time between both parents’ homes. The amount of time may never be exactly equal, but it cannot drop below 35 percent for either parent.
  • Joint legal custody  This form of custody means that both parents have a say in the major health, education, living and religious decisions in a child’s life.

While a final custody agreement is being reached, a court will assign temporary custody for a child. The court decides this based on what is in the best interest of the child. Temporary custody arrangements do not reflect upon the final verdict.

Who we represent

In addition to representing mothers and fathers in child custody cases, our attorneys also work for grandparents and other relatives who are seeking custody. If the court deems that both parents are unfit to raise a child, it is possible for another relative to receive full custody. In these cases, we help clients gather the evidence to bring to court as they try to ensure the child’s protection.

Most of our cases involve divorces with children, but we also represent unmarried individuals seeking custody of a child. In these cases, paternity must first be established by the father before any attempt at custody can be made. Our divorce attorney guides this process along and fights for your rights to raise your child properly.

Contact us today for effective child custody representation

If you are in need of an experienced child custody attorney in El Paso County, call Ortega, McGlashan, Hicks & Perez, PLLC at 915-201-0590 or contact us online today to schedule a free consultation. Our office is located in the city of El Paso, across the street from the federal courthouse.