What Do I Do After a Car Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, there are specific steps you can take to protect your health and your legal right to compensation from the party that caused the collision. While it is important to note that every accident is different and one’s response may vary as a result, the following are general steps to take after an auto accident:
- Remain at the scene. It is illegal to leave the scene of a traffic accident, if someone is injured or property damage has resulted. (The only exception may be if you need to be taken from the scene in an ambulance for emergency medical care).
- Call 911. If someone is seriously injured or the accident is blocking traffic, be sure to call 911.
- Exchange information with the other driver. Stay at the scene and exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver or drivers.
- Gather information and evidence, if possible. If you can, take pictures of your car, the other driver’s car, the road, your injuries, and other relevant details. Get the information of any witnesses who observed the accident. Take notes of everything you remember.
- Do not admit fault. Whether you are talking to the other driver, to emergency personnel, or to law enforcement, do not apologize for the accident and do not say you were to blame. This can limit your right to compensation in the future, and you may be surprised to learn that someone else caused the accident – even if you think you were at fault.
- Seek medical attention. Make sure you visit your doctor or the emergency room as soon as possible after your accident. Some injuries, like head trauma or whiplash, may not be immediately apparent but should be checked for and treated. Tell your doctor that you were involved in a car accident so he or she knows what type of injury to look for.
- Talk to an attorney. This is one of the most important steps to take after a collision. Get legal insight that relates to your unique accident, injuries, and insurance claim.
Serving all of Texas and New Mexico, our El Paso car accident lawyers at Ortega, McGlashan, Hicks & Perez, PLLC are here to offer the support and counsel you need after a traffic accident of any kind.
Call (915) 206-5154 for a free, confidential case evaluation.